Mushrooms are trending as one of the most sustainable, plant-based protein sources available and are wonderfully satisfying in this vegetarian appetizer. The earthy, meaty flavours of this ecan & Parmesan Stuffed Mushrooms recipe can be enjoyed even more with our silky LE22 Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot blend.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes Yield: 24 Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1/3 cup pecan halves
- 500g cremini mushrooms (approx 24-27 medium sized)
- 2 tbsp butter 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup plain panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup fresh finely grated Parmesan* cheese
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper (or to taste)
- Chopped parsley
* Use the fine side of a box grater to grate the Parmesan
- Toast pecans in a dry, medium skillet set over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes stirring regularly, or until just fragrant; transfer to a board and chop finely. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove stems from 24 mushrooms; set caps aside, finely chop stems, adding extra mushrooms (as needed) to measure about 1 1/2 cups.
- Add butter to skillet and return to medium heat. Sauté chopped stems with shallot, garlic and thyme until tender and liquids are evaporated. Cool for 5 minutes; stir in chopped pecans, panko, Parmesan and mayonnaise.
- Season inside the mushrooms with salt and pepper. Spoon filling into mushroom hollows, mounding slightly.
- Bake the pecan & parmesan stuffed mushrooms for 20 to 25 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and topping is browned. Garnish with parsley to serve.
If possible, opt to purchase loose mushrooms and select mushrooms of a uniform size.
For a vegetarian main course for two, replace cremini mushrooms with 5 medium portobello mushroom caps. Use a spoon to scrape out and discard the woody stems and black gills from the mushrooms. Chop one of the mushroom caps to use in the filling. Bake stuffed portobellos for 30 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and the topping is browned.
Your friends will love these Peacan & Parmesan Stuffed Mushrooms with the delicious LE22 Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot blend wine.
To Download Full Recipe Click Here.