JANUARY LIMITED EDITIONS ARE HERE
A collection of five limited edition varietals from some of the world's most renowned wine growing regions are released January through April. Now known simply as LE2013, focused on the harvest year. Each wine is vineyard specific.
January - South African Shiraz Cabernet with grape skins - Worcester Vineyards SA
Wyeast recommendation: Chateau Red or Bordeaux or Red Zinfandel
January - South African Viognier Chenin Blanc Roussanne - Paarl, South Africa• Introduction
Wyeast recommendation: Chablis or Chateau Red
• South African Shiraz Cabernet with grape skins
• South African Viognier Chenin Blanc Rousanne
If you missed pre-ordering we have extras available!
JOIN US ON TWITTER
Join us on twitter @TheHomeVintner to keep up with the latest news, events, sales, questions and comments.
PADDOCK WOOD BREW KITS ARRIVING SOON
For some time we have wanted to expand our beer offerings but had found that most of the larger format beers were lacking in quality and taste; that was until we discovered Paddock Woods. This beer kit dramatically raises the bar for excellence.
Paddock Wood is Saskatchewan's first micro-brewery with a wide range of beer from classic Pilsner to Imperial Stouts and everything in between. They proudly brew their beer using only four natural ingredients: malt, hops, yeast, and water.
They pride themselves on their unique flavour and refreshing taste. Award-winning brew master, Stephen Cavan, leads a team of people dedicated to creating great beer. Pure brews can be found bottled and on-tap in some of the finest independent establishments and beer stores in Canada. Available at Co-op Liquor stores.
Soon available - 23 litres of malt in a beer kit at The Home Vintner:
• Brown Ale
• American Red Ale
• Honey Amber Lager
• Carib Lager
Click here to view the Woods Alehouse website.
Now available: our new 341 ml beer bottles!
JANUARY ONLY - SELECTION KITS ON SALE
Six Selection kits are $10 off this month. We have suggested a liquid yeast option for each of these wine kits:
• California Viognier - very classy wine fresh spring blossoms, peaches and apricots on the nose (suggested liquid yeast - Bordeaux)
• German Muller Thurgau - crunchy green apples on the palate with a touch of sweetness (suggested liquid yeast - Rudesheimer)
• Luna Bianca - a rich, buttery bouquet with flavours of tropical fruit, vanilla and oak with a smooth, round mouth-feel (suggested liquid yeast - Chablis)
• Chilean Carmenère - dark cherry aroma, red fruits and berry notes running to a smoky, spice finish with notes of dark chocolate and tobacco (suggested liquid yeast - Chianti)
• Spanish Rioja Style - black berries, spice and oak. Anyone whose drank through Spain has fallen in love with this wine (suggested liquid yeast - Port)
• South African Pinotage - intense fruitiness and peppery spiciness, in addition to a rich plummy character and aromas of red currant and cherry. Customers who have traveled to South Africa have a deep appreciation for this wine (suggested liquid yeast - Zinfandel)
WINEMAKER INTERNATIONAL AMATEUR WINE COMPETITION
Have you thought about which wines you are going to enter in this year's WineMaker Competition? Perhaps you've been ageing a bottle of Eclipse to perfection or maybe one of LE2012's fantastic vintages. While you worry about which outstanding wine to enter, let us worry about how it's going to get there.
Send your entries, along with your completed entry form, and entry fees to
Global Vintners Inc.
B-301 Louth St.
St. Catharines ON L2S 3B6
Ph: 905-685-9342 x6682
We will prepare the documentation and cover the shipping charges from our warehouse to the competition in Vermont. We must receive your entries and fees by Friday, Feb. 14th, 2014 to allow us time to ship them to Vermont by the competition deadline.
Click here for full contest rules and entry form...
Please note that Winexpert will no longer be awarding free kits to medal winners.
FILTERING YOUR WINE
13 years ago I bought my first wine kit from Paul at The Home Vintner; this was when he introduced me to filtering wine. The purpose of filtering is to polish the wine, making it sharp and crisp in the glass. After stabilizing at around 6 weeks I rack my wine off the sediment and then allow it to bulk age in the carboy for up to 6 months. Each carboy has a vacuvin air lock which I pump on a regular basis. When I have a good line up of carboys I take a weekend and filter. I just filtered 5 whites and 3 reds on the same filter pads. The next day I changed the filter pads and filtered 7 more reds. The secret to success is patience. Our filters are available for rent to our clients when they filter our wine kits.
Caution: if the wine is not clear before filtering, the filter can plug up 1/2 way through your first carboy.
from Ron manager NW store, 2011 Alberta Wine Maker of the Year
WINE & BEER MAKING CLASSES
Over 20,000 people have attended our wine & beer making courses since 1993! During January - 2 for 1! First person pays $25.00, the second person is free. Join us as we make a wine & beer kit in front of the class.
If you have taken this course before and would like a refresher, there is no charge for you and a guest.
97% of class participants would recommend us to a friend.
Classes for January are now posted - click here to go to our event calendar...
• Wine testers swirl their glass to encourage the wine to release all of its powerful aromas. Most don’t fill the glass more than a third full in order to allow aromas to collect and to not spill it during a swirl.
• When wine and food are paired together, they have “synergy” or a third flavor beyond what either the food or drink offers alone.
• There is a right and wrong way to hold a wine glass. Wine glasses should always be held by the stem and not the bowl because the heat of the hand will raise the temperature of the wine.
• All beers were dark and cloudy until October 5, 1842 when Pilsner beer from Pilsen, Bohemia, Czech Republic, was brewed at cold temperatures using bottom-fermenting yeasts to produce a golden clear beer. First formulated by Josef Groll at the Burgess Brewery he used the newly available paler malts and soft water, storing the beer in cool caves to come up with the first pale ales.
Try our Barons Pilsner with extra Saaz hops and the Czech Pilsner liquid yeast to recreate this great beer.
OBAMA’s WHITE HOUSE BREW
• Brewers Best beer kits are now modified for 23 litre brewing. For those looking for a more hands on style of brewing these kits could be just what you are looking for. One step up from a full grain mash; a fun way to create your brew. Note: Obama uses Brewers Best making his home brew in the White House.
• Our Bombay IPA and Brown Rice Gluten Free kits will soon be on our shelves again.
• We have been shorted on our Barons kits due to an International shortage of cascade hops. The full line up of our Barons kits will be back on our shelves soon - we will send out a tweet and email as soon as they are in.
LIGHTING & THE IMPACT TO YOUR WINE
The perfect lighting for your wine room is LED lights which use 80% less power, produces no UV radiation and generates almost no heat. Traditional lighting produces a significant amount of heat and UV light can cause irreversible damage to wine. UV light rapidly degrades otherwise stable organic compounds like tannins which contribute to aroma, flavour and structure of your wine.
I'M IN FOR PRICE & QUALITY
Over Christmas we enjoyed 5 days in Victoria. Since we flew in I could not take any of my wine. Shock!! After 13 years of making my own wine at The Home Vintner I had to buy wine at a liquor store. Wow, at these prices I could not afford to enjoy wine.
A Chianti $18.90 ($4.56 at home), the Nero d’Avola was $28.80 ($5.82 at home), the Spanish Tempranillo was $21.50 ($4.93 at home), Italian Brunello $85.00 ($5.82 at home). In my opinion my home wine was better than the commercial products that I purchased over Christmas. So I spent $154.20 on 4 bottles of wine that I had at home which cost me $21.13 to make. Maybe that is why we are so busy?
from Ron manager NW store, 2011 Alberta Wine Maker of the Year
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK TO QUALIFY FOR OUR MONTHLY DRAW
To enter, become a friend of The Home Vintner on Facebook. This month's winner of a $25.00 gift certificate is Josh Han...
click here to like us on facebook...
MONTHLY STORE DRAW
Each month, every wine or beer purchase automatically enters you into our monthly draw. This month's winner of a $25.00 gift certificate is Wally Ba... from Rocky Mountain House.
SPECIAL OFFERS IN JANUARY
WORLD VINEYARD SPANISH TEMPRANILLO - $5 OFF
Gorgeous ruby red in color, this medium-bodied wine is Spain's answer to Cabernet Sauvignon, with berry, plum and herbal notes running to a lush finish of tobacco, leather and vanilla.
Sweetness: DRY | Body: MEDIUM | Oak Intensity: MEDIUM
WORLD VINEYARD CALIFORNIA MOSCATO - $5 OFF
Moscato has skyrocketed in popularity in recent years, quickly becoming one of the top-selling white wines in North America. And with succulent peach and juicy tropical fruit flavours, there’s lots to love about our new California Moscato. Sip it lightly chilled, or mix with vodka, frozen fruit, or club soda for a punchy twist. Moscato is rapidly gaining ground as the new favourite drink for celebrations, but this is a wine you'll be happy to open up any day of the week, for any (or no) occasion at all. Alc: 8.5%
Sweetness: SWEET | Body: LIGHT | Oak Intensity: NONE
VINTNERS RESERVE VIEUX CHATEAU DU ROI - $5 OFF
The intense aroma of this BIG red features a complex mélange of ripe cherries, blackberries and bell peppers. Another of the “Grande” wines for the red wine lover. One of our heaviest reds this wine is full of oak and full of flavour. Full-bodied, yet soft and quick to mature, this is the perennially popular French red wine blend that continues to keep them coming back with its smooth, easy charms.
Sweetness: DRY | Body: LIGHT-MEDIUM | Oak Intensity: MEDIUM
VINTNERS RESERVE PIESPORTER STYLE - $5 OFF
Named after the village in Germany's Mosel wine region world-renowned for its high quality wines, Piesporter is characterized by a vivid fruitiness and lively balancing acidity. Our Piesporter is made from Riesling grapes, the kit includes both dried elderflowers and the Winexpert Finishing Pack which will round the sweetness and intensify the flavors. The elderflowers contribute to the floral aromas.
Sweetness: OFF-DRY | Body: MEDIUM | Oak Intensity: NONE
WE REWARD LOYALTY! EVERY 11th KIT IS HALF PRICE
Purchase 10 wine or beer kits and your 11th kit is half price! Your bonus kit may be ANY kit available in the store. Purchases may be made at any Home Vintner store with no time limit.
ON YOUR BIRTHDAY
The Home Vintner appreciates your patronage so on your birthday we email you a $10 coupon which may be used for a wine kit or a $5 coupon for any beer kit - this offer is also available for your partner. The next time you are in one of our stores ensure that we have both of your birth dates.