Nutty, sweet and a little smoky, these peanut chicken satay skewers can be served as an appetizer or weeknight main course and are delicious with our juicy and citrusy LE22 Pinot Grigio Gewürztraminer.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 55 minutes (includes marinating time) Yield: About 4 to 6 Servings (approx 16-18 Skewers)
Ingredients for Peanut Chicken Satay:
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
(about 2 large)
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp avocado or canola oil
- 1 large clove garlic, grated
- 1/2 tsp each smoked paprika and salt
- 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes (optional)
- 16 to 18 soaked wooden skewers (approx.)
- Chopped roasted unsalted peanuts (optional)
- Toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Lime wedges
- 1/4 cup smooth or crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp lime juice or unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut milk or water
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp chili garlic sauce or preferred hot sauce
- Pinch salt
Slice chicken into long, uniform strips, about 1-inch thick.
Whisk soy sauce, honey, oil, garlic, paprika, salt and chili flakes (if using); add chicken and toss to coat. Marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 day.
Preheat grill to medium and grease well. Thread chicken, ribbon-style, onto soaked skewers.
Place chicken on grill; baste liberally with any residual marinade mixture during the first few minutes of cooking only. Grill chicken for 10 to 12 minutes, turning often, or until nicely marked and cooked through.
Peanut Sauce: Heat peanut butter in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds or until fluid. Whisk in lime juice, coconut milk, honey, soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce (if using) and salt.
Sprinkle chicken satay with peanuts and sesame seeds (if using); serve with peanut sauce and lime wedges on the side
For a vegan alternative, omit honey and chicken and use 1 package (400 g) of extra firm tofu, cut into equal-sized cubes; marinate and thread onto skewers. Grill tofu for 10 to 12 minutes, turning often and basting with marinade until well-marked and glazed. Serve with peanut sauce.
For a chunkier sauce, use chunky peanut butter and/or stir in some of the chopped roasted peanuts. If the sauce thickens up upon standing, warm for 15 to 20 seconds in the microwave to loosen again. A simple salad accented with cucumber and fresh herbs and a side of fragrant steamed Jasmine rice are perfect to accompany these flavourful skewers
This tasty Peanut Chicken Satay Skewers will be a hit with your family and friends and serve with the impeccable LE22 Pinot Grigio Gewürztraminer.
To Download Full Recipe Click Here.