News & Articles, Read Our Blog

Allergic Reaction to Red Wine

red wine

Some people think they are allergic to sulphites in red wine.

What causes an allergic reaction to red wine?

The fact is, sulphite allergies are very rare. It’s more likely that they’re having a histamine reaction.  What most people describe as a sulphite headache is a reaction to compounds found in wine known as bioamines.

An example of a bioamine is malolactic fermentation.

Some commercial wineries add malolactic bioamines to their red wine before the end of alcohol fermentation in order to get the wine on the market sooner.

The Home Vintner wine kits are not processed in this way, therefore do not provoke allergic reactions.

Related Posts