OUR FEBRUARY LIMITED EDITION IS NOW ARRIVING
A collection of five limited edition varietals from some of the world's most renowned wine growing regions are released January through April. Now known simply as LE2013, focused on the harvest year. Each wine is vineyard specific.
February - Pacific Quartet was awarded Best in Show White at the 2013 Winemaker International Amateur Wine Competition - Viognier from Chile, Chenin Blanc from California, Gewurztraminer from Washington and Muscat from Australia's Murray-Darling Valley.
Wyeast recommendation: Chablis, Chateau Red or Bordeaux
• Pacific Quartet
If you missed pre-ordering we have extras available!
LIQUID YEAST AVAILABLE FOR ALL OUR WINE KITS
Results are in from the Home Vintner wine guild tasting of a 2012 California Petite Sirah/Zinfandel. This wine was done with 5 different yeasts for 5 completely different results. All wines maintained the level of excellence expected with all limited edition kits, but the yeasts gave subtle and interesting differences.
#1 Zinfandel Yeast Red grape concentrate, toasted Hungarian oak, oak cask 16 days. Result: this wine was enjoyed best, good nose, excellent character and subtle oak
#2 Kit Yeast Lighter nose, less complexity, least favourite
#3 Chateau Red Yeast More depth, very smooth, the guild rated this one 3rd place.
#4 Port Yeast This wine placed second, gave more expression, with pronounced characteristics. Smoother and more well rounded than the others.
#5 Zinfandel Yeast Placed 4th, a bit drier in style and not as balanced.
Summary: An excellent learning experience, and a great chance to seeupfront what a difference yeast can make. This year we are experimenting with different yeasts with all the limited edition offerings. Ask staff for details!
JOIN US ON TWITTER
Join us on twitter @TheHomeVintner to keep up with the latest news, events, sales, questions and comments.
Please tweet us your successful wine kit results.
NEW PADDOCK WOOD BREW KITS
We've been searching for just the right beer to expand our beer kit offerings, while many larger format beers were lacking in quality; we have just discovered Paddock Wood. This beer kit dramatically raises the bar for beer kit excellence.
Paddock Wood is Saskatchewan's first micro-brewery with a wide range of beer from classic Pilsner to Imperial Stouts and everything in between. They proudly brew their beer using only four natural ingredients: malt, hops, yeast, and water.
They pride themselves on their unique flavour and refreshing taste. Award-winning brew master Stephen Cavan leads a team of people dedicated to creating great beer. Pure brews can be found bottled and on tap in some of the finest beer stores and pubs in Canada. Available in Calgary at Co-op Liquor stores.
Now available - 23 litres of malt in a beer kit at The Home Vintner:
• American Red Ale
• Honey Amber Lager
• Carib Lager
• Toucan Stout - mid February
Click here to view the Woods Alehouse website.
Now available: our new 341 ml beer bottles!
HOW TO ADVANCE YOUR BEER MAKING SKILLS
Thursday February 27 - 7 PM - $25 per person (no coupons). How to advance your Barons or Paddock Wood beer making skills. We will cover: info on getting the best out of your kits, modifying them with add-on packages, altering them to create unique beers and discovering which liquid yeasts to use, and why. We want you to get the best results out of your kits!
Phone 403 284-0486, email or twitter us to reserve a seat.
NEW! FRENCH & AMERICAN OAK CUBES
We have sourced oak cubes that may be used with many of our wine and beer kits. For example, the Eclipse Sonoma Valley Chardonnay is one that we've made by adding 20 grams of French oak cubes, with excellent results. Soak the cubes in water 24 hours prior to adding to the carboy after stabilizing.
Please ask staff for proper oak ratios and kit recommendations.
WINE & BEER MAKING CLASSES
Over 20,000 people have attended our wine & beer making courses since 1993. During February we are offering 2 for 1! $25.00 for you and a friend. Join us as we walk you through the steps as we make a wine & beer kit in front of the class.
If you have taken this course before and would like a refresher, there is no charge for you and a guest.
97% of class participants would recommend us to a friend.
Classes for February and March are now posted - click here to go to our event calendar...
• A client recently brought in a weak wine which was fermented according to days rather than actual Specific Gravity. Calgary's dramatic barometric pressue shifts mean that if you do not monitor your Specific Gravity then you will not allow complete fermentation. If you stabilize at 14 days (according to the directions) without checking the Specifig Gravity, you may prematurely kill the yeast. Always check your hydrometer for a correct Specific Gravity reading. You will be rewarded with a superior results.
• Degassing your wine - rent a degasser for $10 in our stores or use the Vacuvin hand pump to remove excess CO2 from your wine. Caution: whipping your wine ro remove CO2 can over-oxygenate, making your wine very tired.
Don't forget about our classes for tips and techniques.
• During the fall, after a severe shortage of hops, our Barons kits are returning by the truck load. Our staff have been working overtime preparing add on packages for your favorites.
• Our new 23 litre Paddock Wood beer kits are here! It is exciting to be able to brew this microbrewery beer at home.
• Brewers Best is designed for those who want more hands on experience in steeping their own grains. You are looking at about 2 hours of extra time to produce one of these kits.
• Why aged hard cheeses work with beer: Aged cheddars and goudas have concentrated flavours that require bold beers. Nutty and fruity flavours in the cheese are extremely beer friendly, pairing nicely with hops and roasted malt. Many hard cheeses can be brittle and dry, but the high fat content coats your mouth, giving you excellent palate cleansing power from hops and carbonation.
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK TO QUALIFY FOR OUR MONTHLY DRAW
To enter, become a friend of The Home Vintner on Facebook. This month's winner of a $25.00 gift certificate is Natalie Brui...
click here to like us on facebook...
MONTHLY STORE DRAW
Each month, every wine or beer purchase automatically enters you into our monthly draw. This month's winner of a $25.00 gift certificate is Eli M...
SPECIAL OFFERS IN FEBUARY - $5 OFF
• World Vineyard California Trinity Red
• World Vineyard California Trinity White
• Vintners Reserve Valpolicella Style
• Vintners Reserve Liebfraumilch Style
We guarantee our wine & beer kits 100%, and will be happy to replace kits that are unsatisfactory, all we need from you is a test sample of the wine or beer from our kit, and the production code (the number printed on the removable sticker on the top of the box). We replace faulty and unsatisfactory kits, and will work hard to ensure your next kit is perfection.
In most cases, we will gladly replace unsatisfactory kits, provided you followed our instructions.
WE REWARD LOYALTY! EVERY 11th KIT IS HALF PRICE
Purchase 10 wine or beer kits and your 11th kit is half price! Your bonus kit may be ANY kit available in the store. Purchases may be made at any Home Vintner store with no time limit.
ON YOUR BIRTHDAY
The Home Vintner appreciates your patronage so on your birthday we email you a $10 coupon which may be used for a wine kit or a $5 coupon for any beer kit.