LAST LE2013 WINE TASTING WITH FOOD PAIRINGS
We would like to invite you to our 2013 Limited Edition tastings with food samples. Paul has been hard at work with our chefs preparing food pairings that will beautifully compliment each wine. Please phone or email us to reserve a spot. Prior to attending the wine tasting we recommend that you view Tim's videos below.
NW CALGARY Store (403) 284-0486:
Thursday December 5 - 7 PM sharp
• Where: in the NW Calgary store
• Cost: none
DEADLINE FOR PRE-ORDER & PRE-PAYING IS DECEMBER 6, 2013
A collection of five limited edition varietals from some of the world's most renowned wine growing regions. Now known simply as LE2013, focused on the harvest year. Each wine is vineyard specific. These wines sell out every year and, as their name suggests, they can only be ordered between October and December before their release the following year.
Click below for a written review on each LE2013:
January - South African Shiraz Cabernet with grape skins - Worcester Vineyards SA
January - South African Viognier Chenin Blanc Roussanne - Paarl, South Africa
February - Pacific Quartet - Chenin Blanc, Muscat, Gewurztraminer & Viognier - Pacific Rim
March - Oregon Pinot Noir - Willamette Valley, Oregon
April - Washington Cabernet Merlot - Red Mountain Washington
Click here to go to our product page introducing the LE2013
Click below for videos with Tim Vandergrift:
• South African Shiraz Cabernet with grape skins
• South African Viognier Chenin Blanc Rousanne
• Pacific Quartet
• Oregon Pinot Noir
• Washington Cabernet Merlot
Click here to see Winexpert's LE2013 recipes...
Click here for pre-order and/or pre-pay forms...
• Save 10% by pre-paying!
• Deadline for pre-order & pre-paying is December 6, 2013.
We are pleased to announce the addition of Barossa Valley Australian Shiraz (with grape skins and labels included) to the Eclipse line-up.
The Barossa Valley is Australia’s quintessential wine region. Located in South Australia, Barossa Valley is one of Australia's oldest wine regions dating back to 1841. However, it wasn’t until the late 1900’s that Barossa Shiraz became well known internationally, and was considered its own unique style of Syrah.
This style of big, full bodied Shiraz with rich notes of chocolate and spice has become synonymous with Barossa Valley and Australian wine in general.
Tasting notes: Aromas of robust blackberry, peppercorns and smoked meat. Full-bodied yet smooth with big, dark, peppery fruit and plush texture on the palate. This full-bodied wine needs an equally rich dish to stand up to its big aromas and flavours. Think thick stews, or grilled steaks with sautéed mushrooms. The dark fruit notes in this wine would also pair beautifully with roast pork and cranberry chutney.
CHRISTMAS GIFT CERTIFICATES
We can create a gift certificate for any amount in any of our stores. A great idea for wine and beer enthusiasts! The beauty of this is that you don't have to choose the product, just the amount or go to our website www.thehomevintner.com to get some Christmas gift ideas to put under your tree.
ENJOY THE SEASON WITH FAMILY & FRIENDS!
Now is the time to share your labour of love with others; your wine and beer is great for gift giving. A simple bow and a smile - only rule is "Please return my bottles".
Our wine kits have won over 652 Provincial, National and International awards. Your family will appreciate your great wine.
WINE & BEER MAKING CLASSES
Over 20,000 people have attended our wine & beer making courses since 1993! During December - 2 for 1! First person pays $25.00, the second person is free. Join Paul & Ron as they make a wine & beer kit in front of the class.
If you have taken this course before and would like a refresher, there is no charge for you and a guest.
Classes for December & January are now posted - click here to go to our event calendar...
COMMENTS FROM CLASS
• Very informative with all their knowledge on beer and wine. After knowing prices on how much it would cost to make it myself, I'm motivated to start making wine at home.
• Great course! Pretty excited to get brewing!
• The staff were very knowledgeable and very keen to pass on their knowledge. It sounds like this attitude is a huge part of their business - even after the course. Of course it is good marketing sense and a good way to promote their business, but it is surprising that the majority of retailers do not understand this concept. This is the kind of business that I would want to purchase their products just so that I enter in discussions with them and "pick their brains" with their wealth of information.
PAUL'S RANT - TOO MUCH MISINFORMATION
Every day in our stores we will have someone come in with some misguided tip that they've either found on the internet, or even worse, from another existing store!
By taking this incorrect advice, it can seriously undermine the quality of your wine or beer kit. We, at The Home Vintner, take giving advice very seriously, backed up by years of experience and education. So if you receive any advice from other sources please qualify it with our knowledgeable staff.
From Paul CEO of The Home Vintner
CRAFT YOUR OWN BEER
Wouldn’t it be great if you could brew your own beer at home just like your favorite craft brewery? Our beer kits turn your kitchen into a craft brewery where you are the brew master and your beer destiny is in your own hands. Our premium Barons kits use only 100% malt extract, world-class specialty grains, fresh hops, and high quality yeast.
• The smell of young wine is called an “aroma” while a more mature wine offers a more subtle “bouquet.
• In ancient Greece, a dinner host would take the first sip of wine to assure guests the wine was not poisoned, hence the phrase “drinking to one’s health.” “Toasting” started in ancient Rome when the Romans continued the Greek tradition but started dropping a piece of toasted bread into each wine glass to temper undesirable tastes or excessive acidity.
• One ton of grapes makes about 60 cases of wine, or 720 bottles. One bottle of wine contains about 2.8 pounds of grapes.
• Hops were cultivated in Bohemia by the Czechs as early as 859 A.D. and were highly prized. King Wenceslas, who lived in early 10th century, ordered the death penalty for anyone caught exporting cuttings from the Bohemian hops from which new plants could be grown because they were so valued. King Wenceslas also convinced the Pope to revoke an order banning the brewing of beer which may go some way to explaining how he became known as “Good” King Wenceslas.
• The origin of the yard glass also referred to as a “Yard of Ale” was a response to the Napoleonic Code forbidding coach drivers from leaving the coach with passengers on board for fear of losing control of the horses. A Belgian publican invented the yard glass so drivers could receive a drink while seated. The glass typically has a bulbous bottom and funnel-like top and holds up to 3 pints. To consume beer from a yard the weight of the beer-filled bulb at the end of the glass must be controlled. The beer flows easily until enough is consumed to allow air to flow up the stem and into the bulb. At this point the air forces the remaining beer quickly down the stem and often over the drinker.
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK TO QUALIFY FOR OUR MONTHLY DRAW
To enter, become a friend of The Home Vintner on Facebook. This month's winner of a $25.00 gift certificate is James Par... NW store.
click here to like us on facebook...
MONTHLY STORE DRAW
Each month, every wine or beer purchase automatically enters you into our monthly draw. This month's winner of a $25.00 gift certificate is Collette Ma...
SPECIAL OFFERS IN DECEMBER
BARONS CANADIAN GOLDEN ALE - $4 OFF
A bold hoppy blond ale, it has slightly more hop flavour than typical Canadian beers. True to its style, this ale is malty but well-balanced, very crisp and refreshing, an exceptional beer for the North American ale enthusiast.
Visit us to learn about recipes to try with this kit, varieties include raspberry or blueberry golden ale, White House Honey Ale, Wheat Beer. Click here to read our blog on Canadian Maple Golden Ale...
WORLD VINEYARD CHILEAN MALBEC - $5 OFF
The hot dry climate allows the grapes to reach excellent ripeness, and lush fruity characters, making an intense, black wine. A thick-skinned grape full of colour, tannin and flavour, Malbec makes wines of great power and character, with blackberry, plums, tar, red pepper, sweet cherry, spice, licorice and deep bittersweet notes, almost like unsweetened chocolate, or espresso.
Sweetness: DRY | Body: MEDIUM | Oak Intensity: LIGHT
WORLD VINEYARD WASHINGTON RIESLING - $5 OFF
Riesling simply is the most versatile, complex and food-friendly of all the noble grapes. If you enjoy discovering new wines and inspiring your palate, then Riesling is your ideal wine. With floral and green apple aromas this crisp, vibrant wine has tones of green apple, citrus, apricot, white flowers and subtle mineral notes. The Washington's Columbia Valley is the largest Riesling producing state in the US. Rieslings grown here offer pronounced ripeness while retaining acidity, showing fantastic floral aromas and flavours of peach and apricot, while still maintaining a crisp freshness.
Sweetness: OFF-DRY | Body: MEDIUM | Oak Intensity: NONE
VINTNERS RESERVE BERGAMAIS - $5 OFF
This refreshing, fruity ‘nouveau style' wine shows the bright cherry flavours and aromas of the Gamay grape. Typically consumed young and served slightly chilled. It can be enjoyed on any occasion.
Sweetness: DRY | Body: LIGHT-MEDIUM | Oak Intensity: NONE
VINTNERS RESERVE VIOGNIER - $5 OFF
The intense fruitiness of this beguiling wine suggests rich sweetness, but it shows a surprisingly dry and aromatic finish. A delicate yellow colour, tinged with the variety's typical 'green-gold' hue, it bursts out of the glass with apricot, peach and spice aromas.
Sweetness: DRY | Body: LIGHT-MEDIUM | Oak Intensity: NONE
HOLIDAY HOURS FOR CALGARY & AIRDRIE:
Christmas Eve closed at 4
Christmas Day closed
Boxing Day closed
New Years Eve closed at 4
New Years Day closed
WE REWARD LOYALTY! EVERY 11th KIT IS HALF PRICE
Purchase 10 wine or beer kits and your 11th kit is half price! Your bonus kit may be ANY kit available in the store. Purchases may be made at any Home Vintner store with no time limit.
ON YOUR BIRTHDAY
The Home Vintner appreciates your patronage so on your birthday we email you a $10 coupon which may be used for a wine kit or a $5 coupon for any beer kit - this offer is also available for your partner. The next time you are in one of our stores ensure that we have both of your birth dates.